Saturday, 7 December 2013

Shortbread

The Christmas Star That Cook Forgot


To make Yummy Spiced Christmas Shortbread you will need:

225g butter at room temperature
75g caster sugar
275g plain flour, sifted
1tsp ground mixed spice
Finely grated zest of one reindeer antler... I mean orange
A pinch of salt
75g semolina
Caster sugar for dusting

"Oh my, I'm a Christmas Star! 
Not a sticker on a snotty child's jumper, or a token in a grubby pocket. 
No this star is helping spread the spirit of Christmas!"

Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees (160 for fan ovens) or gas mark 4
In a bowl, mix the butter and caster sugar until thoroughly incorporated.

"What are we lining up for? 
Are we going to visit Santa?"

Mix in the flour, mixed spice, orange zest, salt and semolina. 
Finish with your hands to bring the dough together.

Allow to rest in the fridge in cling film while you wash up, hell, why not mix it a cocktail while you're at it! 
Dust the worktop with flour and roll out until the dough measures 1cm thick.
Cut out shapes and bake for 30 mins on a well-greased baking sheet.

"Whoo! I thought Christmas was meant to be cold!"

"Oh heck, what's this now? Snow?"

Remove from the oven to cool and smother in sugar. Mmmmmmmmmarvellous!

"Mmm sugar mmmm, ooh Brenda? What happened to you...?"



Place cooled biscuits in a suitable airtight box or wrap in brown paper, ribbons and a gift tag for a yummy festive gift.





"Cook forgot me, she sent me round twice!" 
"Oh Brenda!"

"I wouldn't worry about me dear..."
"Why's that?"

"Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh!"

"This just feels so... pointless...."

This starry story was inspired by a picture book story I have written called Cecil and the Wandering Star. This is the PG version on account of the mild terror involved. Cecil and the Wandering Star has a beautiful premise and a glittering cast of sparkling characters. *sigh*. I heart stars.


"Nobody likes a show off Brenda!"