Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Howe do you do... the Unmentionables!

The other day I was very pleased to discover this:

My head-to-toe body book, from publishers Thames and Hudson. 
It is a hardback picture book, beautifully illustrated and designed to introduce the systems of the body to pre-school children. 

It is so beautifully done, with imaginative games to play (Body Noises anyone?), gorgeous illustrations and it really is easy to understand. I've found The Boy nose deep in it, in a quiet corner on a number of occasions already! 



In my opinion there should be a book like this in every house. There really is nothing more eye-bogglingly, pigs could be flyingly, calling his name 47 timesingly, distracting than finding out how our bodies work to a pre-schooler. 

There was indeed a book like this in our house growing up. It sat on our book shelf, bottom row, an object of pure mystery. 

I first discovered said book late at night when I, should have been and everyone else was, in bed. I was rummaging through the shelves and, well, let's just say it left me with more questions than answers. The book is similar in that it talks about teeth and breathing and talking etc. But this book, which I affectionately have next to me right now, falls open at page 38. On page 38 are three cartoon pictures, one of a naked man and woman holding hands, one of an erect penis and one of said couple doing the horizontal hoola, presumably after a few glasses of Babycham and a wink and a nod. 



Now please picture my young self sitting in the twilight wondering what to make of this...

All I can say is it is a little jarring! And confusing. You try assimilating a cartoon willy with the real thing when the time... arrives.

Not so with the My head-to-toe body book. I've looked and looked and can't find any rude cartoons in it, not any! 

Like Rastamouse versus Roland Rat, this is an updated, way cooler and much more sophisticated resource. If you have some little person's birthday coming up, this would be a winner with parents and children alike. We all LOVE it and will be adding it to the legacy that is our 'Collection of Body Books' to pass on to the next generation.